During the December 18 Carroll ISD School Board meeting, two potential school calendars were presented to the Board for discussion. From now until January 12, CISD is engaging the Carroll community for input on the proposed calendars.
Now that Carroll ISD has officially approved the District of Innovation (DOI) plan, the district has the ability to have more flexibility in the design of a calendar that best meets the needs of our students. Both calendar drafts include an earlier start date, a greater balance of instructional days between the two semesters, and an early last day of school.
Listed below are the two calendar options in detail. Carroll ISD would appreciate the input of the community through our two-way communication tool, Let’s Talk.
Calendar Option 1
- Aligns with many of surrounding districts
- First Day of School – Monday, August 20, 2018
- Professional staff development day – Friday, October 5, 2018
- Staff flex day – Monday, October 8, 2018 (gives students a 4-day weekend and CISD staff a 3-day weekend)
- Thanksgiving break — Monday, November 19 – Friday, November 23, 2018 (November 19th and 20th – staff flex days)
- Four semester exam days are scheduled as follows:
- December 18 and 19 – semester exam days for grades 7-12 (single exams given during 4th/8th blocks).
- December 20 and 21 – semester exam days for grades 7-12 (3 exams per day), early release days for grades 5-12
- Winter break — Monday, December 24, 2018, through Friday, January 4, 2019
- CISD staff would return to work on Monday, January 7th
- Students would return on Tuesday, January 8th
- MLK Holiday – Monday, January 21, 2019
- Bad Weather days — Friday, February 15, 2019 and Friday, April 19, 2019
- Student Holiday/Staff Professional Development Day- Feb. 18, 2019, April, 22, 2019
- Spring break — March 11-15 2019
- Four final exam days:
- May 24 and May 28, 2019 – final exam days for grades 7-12 (single exams given during 4th/8th blocks)
- May 29, 2019 – final exams for grades 7-12, early release day for grades 5-12 (3 exams per day)
- May 30, 2019 – final exams for grades 7-12, early release day for all grades (preschool – 12th)
- Graduation/Teacher Work Day – Friday, May 31, 2019
Calendar Option 2
- This calendar option is the same as Draft 1 calendar option with the exception of the first semester exam days and winter break.
- December 13 and 14, 2018 – semester exam days for grades 7-12 (single exams given during 4th/8th blocks)
- December 17 and 18, 2018 – semester exam days (3 exams per day), early release days for grades 5-12
- Winter break – Wednesday, December 19, 2018 – Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
- CISD staff would return to work on Wednesday, January 2nd
- Students would return on Thursday, January 3rd
View full post on MySouthlakeNews