Section of Highland Street and N. White Chapel Boulevard intersection to be closed temporarily

As crews continue to make progress on the N. White Chapel widening project, they will temporarily close the east leg of the Highland St. and N. White Chapel intersection.

Weather permitting, the closure will start after the morning traffic peak on Monday, February 11 and is expected to last until Friday, February 15.

The City’s contractor will be lowering the existing 20-inch water main currently located under N. White Chapel. As illustrated in the map, vehicles will not be able to turn east onto Highland from N. White Chapel or cross the intersection as they drive west. Vehicles can still turn west onto Highland or continue on N. White Chapel.  Motorists are encouraged to seek alternate routes and try to avoid the intersection while work is being completed.

This work will continue to move the project along to a completed roundabout in the spring.

City staff is also working with contractors to monitor and adjust signal timing at the SH 114 and N. White Chapel intersection so that traffic is allowed more time to get through the Highland and N. White Chapel intersection.

“As we continue to make progress on this project it puts us one step closer to overall improved mobility along this corridor,” notes Deputy Director of Public Works and City Engineer Kyle Hogue. “Even though construction projects can be frustrating for drivers, we really appreciate the feedback we’ve received along the way. Letting us know when situations get better or worse helps us address concerns as they arise and do what we can to make improvements. Please keep talking to us. Reaching out through our Mobility Facebook page or the website is a great way to get in touch with us.”

For more information about the project, visit the project page on the City website.  Stay in the loop on project updates by following Southlake Mobility on Facebook.

View full post on City of Southlake – MySouthlakeNews

Flame sign above former gas building temporarily coming down

The iconic flame sign that has perched atop the former Lone Star Gas Building since 1957 is temporarily coming down. Efforts are underway to identify funding to restore and reinstall it.

Due to recent storms, the sign has become structurally unsound and will be removed and stored at a city facility until additional funding for restoration can be identified. Once restored, the sign may be considered by the City Council for inclusion in the Fort Worth Public Art collection, allowing it to be properly maintained as a cultural icon.

An emergency certificate of appropriateness for removing the sign has been issued by the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission. The sign will be labeled and photographed before storage. Original drawings of the sign are filed with the city’s Planning & Development Department and Facilities Management Department.

The restoration will cost approximately $120,000. Atmos Energy has pledged $60,000 toward the restoration.

About the building

The former Lone Star Gas Co. headquarters, 908 Monroe St., was designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in 1929 as a four-story building that could be expanded with three additional floors. Those three floors were added to the top of the building in 1957; they were also designed by Hedrick.

That same year, the blue flame neon sign of the Lone Star Gas logo was installed atop the building. The enamel-painted rotating sign featured neon lighting. The sign was designed, constructed and installed by Federal Electric Sign Co., now called Federal Heath Sign Co.

The building features Art Deco styling and has a beautiful lobby that has been restored. The Fort Worth Water Department and other city offices currently occupy the building. The building is designated a historic and cultural landmark and includes the Lone Star Gas sign as an essential element.

View full post on City News

Tarrant County sub-courthouse Hurst location to close temporarily

Effective this week, Tarrant County offices have been moved from the Northeast Sub Courthouse to either Southlake Town Hall or to a new temporary location at Parkwood Village, located at Harwood Road and Norwood Drive in Bedford. The county is preparing for the construction of a new Northeast Courthouse at the Hurst location that will take approximately 18 months.

View full post on City of Colleyville News